Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Class Dismissed

Well, this Thursday will be my last day teaching. I am feeling happy but yet at the same time reluctant. I can't explain this mixed feelings as I myself am a little confused.

The only reason why I feel happy leaving the school is because of the "students". My definition of "students" here refer to those who are reluctant to study and have a major attitude problem. Facing this kind of students makes me feel like a loser, as thought I failed to be a good educator, one that is going to shape their future, one who is suppose to guide them the correct path to be someone who will turn out to be good not only in the sense of IQ but also EQ. I always label them as monkeys as they are so hard to be controlled at times that I myself would give up. Seeing them as they refuse to take advice makes me upset, and wondering whether how is their future would to be like. Are they going to be successful? Are they going to be involved in social stigmas?
What will happen to them with their personalities and level of intellect? This questions bugged me all the time when I see them.

Well school is not all that bad. There are things that made me glad too.

The things that made me feel happy is when I get to gain experience when teaching the students as I myself am learning something at the same time. Some times when I am teaching a certain topic, I actually discovered that maths is all linked in certain ways that we can't see until you do it. SO the discovery part is what made me feel like I am Archimedes.

Besides that, getting to work with teachers, my colleagues, made me a more matured person. I have to think before doing anything or else I can offend someone. Not only that, my colleagues, my friends, actually helped me through a lot of tough times when I am in the teaching career. By the surface, teaching seems like an easy job. And because of this, social peers have changed. The misconception is that teachers are not highly educated people. There are people who depicted teachers as some one who contributes less to the social community. Yet, I am still proud to be a teacher although just a substitute teaching.

Last but not least, the one thing that made me happy is when students score well in exams. The one thing that all educators want is their apprentice to be successful. Seeing students being young and energetic, fresh and innocent really reminded me of my schooling time. The bonds formed between us is so unique and it cant be described with mere words. Or maybe it's because the age gap is not big between me and my fellow students that makes it easier for us to communicate.

At the end of the day, I will still have to move on, they too have to move on, where we will go our separate ways, but the same goal, which is to pursue our studies and to achieve our dreams to be a successful person which is able to contribute back to the society which we grew up in.

4 comments:

Flaffy said...

o.O dismiss!!! hehehe

vern said...

Didn't WE used to have attitude problems back then? I remember ditching some classes...I'm ditching one tomorrow too LMAO

Adam Wong JC said...

lol, well, i am the goody-goody wan so i dont really know. but yeah, teenagers will be teenagers right?

Erin said...

wat ! no more Encik Wong ? T_T good riddance to ur "special A class" then XD